Friday, June 11, 2010

Who Are You In The Equation?




There was a quote on “Why Did I Get Married Too” that really stood out to me and I've had it semi stuck in my head ever since. Sheila tells Troy, “It's so hard to be with a good man, after being with a bad one.” Troy responds, “It's even harder to be with a good woman, after she's had a bad man.”

The two quotes make so much sense to me and I think Tyler Perry was on point for including them in the script. We don't often realize the struggle that one party is going through, or we realize but may make light of it. Either we think well I'm here to fill this void and treat them the way they should be. Or on the flip side, give the person a hard time, act unappreciative and respond as if they owe it to us to be a certain way, as if they're the one that hurt us and have to compensate for it. I've experienced these situations from both Sheila and Troy's point of views and can honestly say that what they said was nothing but the truth!

First, from Sheila's point of view, I can relate because after dealing with someone that's no good, you tend to look at dating and potential partners in a different way. It's generally nothing that the new person has done, it's simply due to being hurt previously. The slightest similarity that you see in a potential date that can be compared to your last partner, will make you nervous, scared, upset and probably cause you to back away. Your guard is always up and you could end up losing out on someone that treats you how you want to be treated. You've been hurt so much that you don't realize when you're being treated good. It sounds crazy, but after being treated a certain way for an amount of time, you get used to it and it becomes the norm. So the instance someone treats you good, the way you should be treated, you get defensive and suspicious.

On the flip-side, I understand Troy's response as well. Mainly because dealing with someone who has been hurt or scorned is hard and can be extremely aggravating. You find yourself at battle to prove that you aren't their last woman/man and that you're different. Unfortunately, words don't usually suffice to prove this and at times neither do actions. It becomes a point where you will ask yourself, do you really care that much about the person to wait for them to come around or should you just give up and give them their space.

There's a third part to this and while Tyler Perry kept it very peachy and cream and left it out the movie, more than often this little part is included in real life. The third part is that we sometimes use both of the aforementioned situations as crutches or excuses, when really we just don't want to be bothered with someone. In the past, I can remember several times when I've used the excuse, “I'm still hurt from the last person I dealt with.” Sometimes this will result in what you wanted and the person will leave you alone. Other times, the person will continue to show interest and attempt to be your “Troy” and walk through the healing process with you. Meanwhile, you are just not interested in the person, but don't want to come out and tell them. Back then my logic was always that, if I was to come right out and tell them, I'm not interested, that I'd hurt their feelings and mess up a potential or existing friendship. But, when you think about it, they'll be more over it when they realize they've wasted so much of their time trying to be there for you and you didn't want them there. So now I try to just be upfront and truthful and let them know the deal from the gate, to avoid this. The first approach can be detrimental to friendships and other types of relationships.

So which do you think is worst: 1.) Having a good man/woman after being hurt by a bad one. 2.) Having a good man/woman, after they've been hurt by a bad one. OR 3.) Being somewhere stuck in the middle not knowing which way to turn?

Comments/Questions/Concerns Appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. first off, good blog homes. Like how u broke dat down:) I think #1 is worst. It's so hard Like you said dealin with someone that's had their heart broke. It's Almost like you always have to prove urself to show that ur different, u standout from that avg man. But then that gets tedious because as man, u tend to ask yaself is it even worth all this extra effort, and sometime begin to lose interest in that male/female cuz they bringing prior grief fears and extra baggage in the "new" good relationship.. From my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the emotional baggage steming from both situations is a challenge to deal with. I've been in only one relationship I consider significant and I was the one that was hurt and while time has lapsed and I can objectively look at it for what it was I am still guarded. Although I haven't put anyone through the ringer per se I have distanced myself from the whole possibility of becoming involved. As for being on the other end it is truly frustrating to try & "prove" yourself to someone your interested in.... playing amateur shrink and investing time that may or may not pay off... bt no guts no glory I guess. Cool post btw....made me reevaluate some things in my current "love" (if you can call it tht) life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much man for the feedback. I agree, in every instance listed there can be a certain level of emotions involved and baggage to come along with it. While you haven't put anyone else through the "ringer", you've put yourself in it, either consciously or unconsciously. Seems like you've stirred away from these situations pretty clear. Thanks again for the feedback on the post. I hope you continue to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relationships is like a job..you gotta put in effort to reap what you sow. I played both roles of Troy and Sheila. I was hurt in past relationships and didn't allow myself to trust others. I couldn't recognize when my lover was treating me right cuz i was so torn from the past. i also made excuses of the problem being me and not them (which was the truth) i just didn't want to be bother with. One day i was reading the bible and i was reading 1st Corinthians 13...this when i figured out what was true love...Love suppose conquer over all things no matter what the situation is...we have 2 really recongnize it when its in front of us...

    ReplyDelete