Wednesday, August 19, 2009

That DAMN 4 Letter Word!





You guessed it! LOVE! Webster defines love as 1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. 2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.

Now while I don't exactly think a dictionary which is man-made and written can tell me what love is, the definitions are close to what I believe it is. Now this blog is not about what love is and what love isn't because to a certain extent it kind of depends upon the person.

This is more about people throwing around the word love and the catch phrase "I love you." I've blogged about a similar subject, which I touched on folks so quick to call folks their "lovers." But, this time around I want to touch on folks being so quick to tell everyone they love them and if they honestly mean it or not.

For instance, a trick as old as my ancestors is someone, generally a guy, telling someone they love them, just to get into their draws or their wallet. There's also those folks who use the phrase "I love you", simply because their mate, partner, shing, date, etc. said it to them first. People! You are not obligated to tell someone that you love them simply because they told you! Also, folks don't be so quick to believe that they love you if the first time you hear "I love you" is during sex, sometimes it can kind of just come out because of the activities taking place. And they don't actually love you but they love what you do! ;) I've been guilty of this one myself, LOL.

One of the reasons this came about is because of a discussion I recently had with someone and as they shared their story about a certain individual and the things they had told them, it sound ALL too familiar. And when I say this I don't say it as like same script, but different cast, I'm saying same script, same actor. So as I listen it kind of threw me for a loop like wow this must be routine for this person and from the looks of things it works everytime.

Moving on I tweeted about a week ago, "is it possible for someone to be IN LOVE with more than one person at a time?" The responses somewhat varied but for the most part it was a majority of "no's!" Personally, I agree! I think you can love more than one person, have love for more than one person, but you can't be "in love" with more than one person, but apparently some can.

Back to the starting point. Why exactly are people so comfortable with using the phrase "I love you?" Do you tend to do more for a person after hearing those words? Do you feel like you have become any closer than you were 5 hours before you first was told that from them? Thoughts and opinions.

1 comment:

  1. Hmnn this is an interesting topic and its hard to answer because love has no guidline you cant say you can fall in love with someone after 2 weeks or 2 years it depends on the person, but it is i think generall accepted that love takes time. As for wh people are confortable with saying it i dont know maybe they thing that they are supposed to say it to whome ever they are with especially when the other person said it first or maybe its because they feel if the other person thinks they are in love with them they can benefit more from the relationship either way people need to learn (myself included) not to say i love you so quick even before were sure we do

    ReplyDelete