Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Positive Energy



I thought I'd take the time to post about something other than love and relationships because there's so much more I want to share. What I've chosen to write about at this time is the importance of surrounding yourself with the likes of positive people.

Many people don't realize the effect that surrounding yourself with positive people can have on your life, as well as the effects being around negative people can have. Growing up everyone wanted to be a part of the "IN" crowd and be around the popular kids. Often times these were some of those most pessimistic and vain people you would ever come across. But, at that age you didn't realize this and wouldn't have cared, you were happy as long as you were being acknowledged by the cool kids.

As I matured I realized that these "cool" people, were often the ones really searching for acceptance. Think about it for a second, they were always cracking jokes at others expense, looking to get a laugh out of the folks watching. They had to have the latest everything, so that they would feel elite. Some even "dumbed" themselves down, so that they wouldn't look like the smart kid because that wasn't considered cool. So while we sat back trying to gain acceptance from the "cool kids", they were all the while trying to gain that same acceptance from us. Trying to be things at times they truly weren't.

After having a few more years of life experiences under my belt, it really came full circle to me. These same folks that are always so negative and nasty are contributing to me not reaching the full potential that I can. The people that you hang around will begin to rub off on you, believe it or not. So if you are surrounding yourself with negative energy and are constantly being exposed to negativity, your thoughts will become just that. But, when you surround yourself with other positive people, people with goals and plans in life, you become motivated and will attempt ventures that you may have never dreamed of. The sky becomes the limit.

I've come to the point in my life where I often will distance myself from certain individuals and will avoid them at all cost because at this point I'm looking to excel and don't need anyone that's going to hinder that intentionally or unintentionally. These folks that are constantly ridiculing and tearing others down are the same folks that aren't happy with themselves. Their constant comments of others flaws are used to camouflage thier own insecurities. They're bitter and don't want to see anyone else happy and if you allow them to do so, they'll turn you into a person just like them.

This was not suppose to be a long entry lol. Anywho, bottom line is... surround yourself with positive people that are doing things, planning to do things and have a positive outlook on life. As long as you breathe in negativity, you will be hindered from your full potential. In the words of AJ Calloway, "Love, Live, Life!"

3 comments:

  1. A-F---ING-MAZING!!!

    So true. You have alot to say young Duante, and I am a dedicated reader. Keep it up, and keep aspiring to inspire...people like me, and others that need a positive voice in often negative world.

    (in the words of Don Cornilious) Love. Peace. and Soul.
    Francis Andre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true and surrounding myself with positive individuals is what I strive for in my life on a daily basis...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very true, Duante. I stopped talking to a person who I had known since 7th grade. My best friend that I been through so much with. They would talk about me to one friend and then talk about the other friend to me. One day we compared notes and seen how this person ws downing us. We haven't been friends for quite sometime now and to this day, that indidvidual still has negative comments to say about me. Or they call mutual friends as soon as they have heard something negative about me. Out of all people they're in no situation to say anything about me, but I laugh at them now. Everytime I hear their comments about me, I realize how much I don't miss them as a friend, becasue of their negative energy. People like that are call Debbie Downers!

    ReplyDelete